Do you suffer from recurrent urinary tract infections or constant symptoms of UTI and nothing appears to resolve them? You may have Interstitial Cystitis or Painful Bladder Syndrome, IC/BPS
The syndrome is experienced differently in men and women. The triggers may be similar. IC/BPS is a chronic bladder health issue. Symptoms include pelvic or scrotal pain and pressure in the bladder, without an infection and lasting longer than 6 weeks. It appears that hyperexcitability of nerves of the urinary tract and bowel may lead to IBS and BPS.
We use well researched herbs and nutrients to relieve underlying inflammation and infections. Stress may also play a role so there are useful herbs for that too. At Bodywise we can mix herbs specifically suited to the symptoms
Herbal, Nutritional and Probiotic Treatments for bladder pain syndrome
To treat Inflammatory Bladder Syndrome, a continuous level of herbs in the blood stream are essential. Anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and demulcent actions of the herbal medicines we use are taken 3 times per day for 2-4 weeks. After that a maintenance dose may be required and then as required. We will also add herbs that help with stress and mood.
We recommend a probiotic to restore healthy bowel flora after anti-biotic treatment.
Did you know these foods and drinks may trigger UTI/ Painful Bladder syndrome?
Enjoy a tasty diet of vegetables, fruits and lean meats and fish to encourage the healthy bowel flora and prevent urinary infections. For many women avoiding the triggers listed below can really help:
- Alcohol and Caffeine – these are the most inflammatory
- Carbonated drinks – the contain lots of carbon dioxide, CO2, that is acidic
- Citrus fruits, and tomatoes and possibly other vegetables in the deadly nightshade family
- Chocolate and Spices – for some women
- Sugar and processed foods– high levels of sugar are not good for your health
- Processed and packaged food are generally lifeless and will not provide you with adequate nutrition, flavour and energy.
We do hope you find relief by removing these foods and if you are still having symptoms get help from our Naturopath Bridget at Bodywise.