Sun protection / sunscreens
Safe Sun Protection
At Bodywise we stock the following natural sunscreen brands:
Oasis, Alba, Coola
Do remember that all these natural sunscreens need to be reapplied every 2.5 to 3 hours, need to be rubbed in and will leave a slight tint on the skin.
Prevention is better
- Seek the shade, between 10 AM and 4 PM., otherwise enjoy the sun in moderation
- Do not burn, avoid tanning and tanning booths.
- Cover up with clothing, a broad-brimmed hat, and sunglasses.
- Use only healthy sunscreen with SPF15 or higher without harmful chemicals.
- Keep newborns out of the sun.
- Sunscreens should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Eat lots of food high in Betacarotene, antioxidants & vitamin c
- If burnt, use creams with arnica, hypericum and calendula
- Examine your skin monthly & have a skin check up yearly
- And enjoy our sun in moderation, it is also good for you!
To find out more do find the sites of the EWA or read the following from the site of DR Peter Dingle of Australia
How toxic is your sunscreen?
Dr Peter Dingle presents the evidence behind a growing concern about chemicals in sunscreens.
During the past 50 years, we have increased the number of synthetic sunscreen chemicals that we use. We have done this with virtually no consideration of how vulnerable we are to these chemicals – or how little we know about their subtle and cumulative toxic effects. We assume that because they are so easily purchased from the supermarket shelf, they must be safe to use. Wrong! Many of these chemicals are known to be toxic; very few are carefully studied before they are put on the shelf and made available to the general public. In fact, many of these chemicals have been used for more than five decades without any deliberation about their potential toxic effects. There is no doubt that the products in everyday sunscreens are toxic. The only real question is: what effects do they have on you and your family?